Saturday, December 16, 2006

Cutting trees not a simple job!

Here is the story.





(Note this happened a week ago, but internet in Kadiolo would not permit me to post with pics at the time.)Today I was given a job by Ernie. They went to Bamako to meet Glenn & Kathy Kendall.
He had already arranged for a tree cutter to come take down a huge tree in front of their house.

He asked me to supervise.
This huge tree very close to the house, and very very close to power lines.
Note the 2nd pic. Fun! I fired the cutter twice during the job,
because he was up a tree with a running 4' chain saw. I told him to cut one (very fat) limb, just a little, and I would use the car to pull it down after he himself was to safety. He went ahead and cut through the whole thing and let it fall where it may! It was amazing that he and the chainsaw didn't fall on top of the limb they cut.



Thankfully that limb was not the complicated side of the tree. I was upset with him.
I told him that I saw his coffin open up, and asked him if he was trying to kill himself on purpose?
I was suggesting the way I did to preserve his life, everyones life on the ground, and the wire and the house. Anyway, we move on to the second limb. Same thing, a bit worse. I say, okay, you are fired. Go home!
He was not happy. I said if you won't do what I tell you to do, then why are you working here? I said if he kills anyone, including himself, who answers to the charges of negligence? Who is responsible? Me.

Our workers Jonas and Marikot wanted me to pardon (forgive) him. I said pardon, no problem.
Take him back to work? Then I am the crazy one. They said Mr. .. please. I said you will push me just until someone is hurt, won't you?
Nobody is hurt yet, they said. I said No, and lets keep it that way.
Meanwhile I decided on a compromise that allowed chainsaw man to clean up the fallen limbs, cutting them into small pieces. Then I worked with him on one of the smaller trees. Total difference, He was working as a team unit with me... Great.
So then I told him, okay, you've earned the right to finish the job with me, but we're going to work together.
And we did. All ended well. But Yikes, it was very difficult there for awhile....


We ended up felling 5 smaller fullgrown trees, and one huge monster tree. (That's one trunk and one limb in the photo, it was a two trunked monster tree.)
So he cut them partway,and I pulled them with the car.








So that is life on the mission field. I preached on Sunday, and played lumberjack on Thursday.

How is life in your department going?

Thanks for coming by!
Tom & Lisa Seward