Monday, October 05, 2009

Last Sunda y


Road to Kanbo

Hi. Last saturday night Pastor Youssouf invited me to go out to a nearby village, Kambo, where one of our small village churches is. So I said "Sure, I'll come...". So we arranged to drive our motorbikes out there, and to meet in the morning at 8:30 am. In the morning, about 8:15, Youssouf called, and said, "Ok, are you coming?" I was ready, so I got on my motorbike and went to his house.
But when I got there he was gone. Just after calling me, he received a call that a family member was being brought in from another village and had died. So he went off to the hospital/morgue to deal with the family crisis. I called him, and said "Should I go, and preach in your place?" He said, "Wow that is a good idea, take my nephew to translate." So Gauchou and I got on my motorbike, and drove out to Kanbo.

Kanbo is outside Kadiolo, but not too far. Maybe 6-7 km out. So we got there in about 20 minutes, driving on one of our "good" roads. Church was already started. So we joined in. This congregation has 4000 members and 5 services.... NOT... :D... at least not yet...
There were 6 adults including me and Gauchou, and 4 kids. If you remember the story a few months ago of the woman and her husband who said they would turn to Christ if she was healed from her sickness? She is from Kambo, too. But she was not at church this week. Pastor said she is faithful, but is really receiving opposition from her family. They do not want her to be a Christian. So she is struggling. Pray for her. Her name is Asita.


Here is a pic of our group, (Gauchou took the picture...)

I preached on Hebrews 7, how Christ is our sacrifice on time for all. I contrasted how the witchdoctors and priests have to do many sacrifices, and how they have to sacrifice for their own sin first. But how Christ, according to Hebrews 7, does not need a sacrifice for His sin, so is free to be the sacrifice for ours.
Gauchou did a good job translating for me.

So when church was over, it is the village tradition to feed the visiting speaker. So Pastor Moussa invited us to lunch. His wife quickly ran over to the house, and lit her fire to cook rice & sauce. We had time to talk, and rest a bit, and about 1 hr later, lunch was ready. She nicely provided me with a spoon so I could eat like a white guy. I appreciated that. (Africans eat with their hands, which may sound interesting and romantic to you... but after burning your hand with sloppy hot rice & sauce, you may prefer to eat with a spoon or fork like I do.) :D

Another bit of news/prayer request.
Our neighbors 1st wife is very sick. She has an ulcer that hurts when she eats, so she has eaten very little in the past 2 weeks. She is really wasting away. She can't walk now, on her own. She is really looking bad. We went over there yesterday to pray for her. But she really looks like she will die without intervention. Pray for her, and the whole family.

Thanks for stopping by!
Tom & Lisa